Friday, May 14, 2010

When The City Sleeps (i'm all the more alone)

Empty eyes drifting out from a dark alley' stretch,
I wander on the pavement, taking solace in my steps.
And one for one, each for each, I'm further left alone,
With more dark thoughts of departed lovers to roam.

I find cold comfort in familiar peaks, each belonging to
Half empty buildings, my city belonging to each.
Down past Penobscot, Cadillac Center, Renaissance
And past the plaza too, is my old haunt, my mayhew.

In the drifts and gales of swirling December snow,
I lean against the rail, over the river and into the glow;
Of another city, who is loved dearly by another man,
Windsor loitering listlessly, the same as I am.

I know a thousand people, their faces, their names
And for each of them, I feel little but a distant disdain.
I've lost more people than most have ever known,
And for it I feel quite cold, and all the more alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment