Friday, May 14, 2010

Poverty is a Hereditary Disease (A Song)

South Carolina
Sing me to sleep
The day's been long
And I'm a restless thing
Oh, South Carolina
My sweet
Sing me to sleep

They say if you dig deep
You'll find hell beneath
And I'm one to think
It's always waiting
Right beneath our feet

Down in that hole
Before the sun thinks to shine
Crawl our way out
When the daylight is dying

My father dug before me
And his Pa before im'
The blacklung took em both
Take me too I presume

But there's men in New York
Detroit and Washington DC
Who make all the money
And they need electricity

When I sit down at night
Coal dust staining my skin
To eat an honest meal with my kin
I thank god for that mine

Because poverty, it's hereditary
And my chldren gotta eat
So at night, when I can barely breathe
I make myself sing:

South Carolina,
Sing me to sleep,
The day's been long
And I'm a restless thing.
Oh, South Carolina,
My sweet,
Sing me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment