Friday, May 14, 2010

Love Eclipses Love

So long to the days that led to nights of chill spring melting bloom.
Electric lights behind lovers eyes that would sigh and hum in rhythm
With soft moans and tugs. Tangled legs akimbo and emotions
All rearranged to fit the narrow space of the backseat of that old
Chevrolet.

We were young once, and young still; but something died with
the sun’s dawn that day. Maybe our innocence had loosened,
Ripped and striped away, like the pile of socks and jeans at our
Feat. We conquered the hill upon that battlefield, and cheered
Flushed from cheek to cheek with the thrill of victory!

How little that seems now;
In my arms. As he gropes blindly,
Eyes to prude to see.
Such a small thing. . .
Leads to such small things.
Yet before you know,
They ripen and grow.
And a light of love
Is eclipsed by love brighter still.

That chevy is gone now. I wonder some days where it went.
Maybe to a younger man with fresher dreams and a taste for
Older things. Who appreciates the beauty of that 56 chevy as
I no longer can. And in all honesty, I am sad.

Once, the stars seemed to pour their light down, in and upon
Me. Life was nothing other then easy. Love nothing but words
On a page printed upon my lips.

But now, now I understand.
I understand, and for that child, I am sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment