Friday, May 14, 2010

I Expect To See Opium (Engulfed in my needs)

Booted feet on familiar concrete
Every crack holds histories
And every building breaking
The sky into a menagerie
Of blue-gray patches like
Stained glass windows hung
In rattling panes shaken
By the stiff wind of rainy days-
Holds slipping memories.

I have grown older, old it seems
Walking through the parking lot
Plains and these urban valleys that
Were once the edges of the earth
Laying in wait like a virgin brought
To my bed, ready to be conquered,
Engulfed in my need and made,
Somehow, a little more complete -
But this a different season of life.

Where I expect to see opium
smoke spilling from my teeth in
ribbons and streams a man walks his
Dog, and smiles and nods while I
Stare at his loafers, a little confused;
And the alley, a few blocks down,
I used as a bathroom stumbling from
The Detroiter to Locos more times
Than I had hoped, is now home
To some transient I do not know.

This is not my city, and this can not
Be my skin, stretched so loosely
And hung by such excess flesh; this
Is not my life, coherent and contained
Within the constraints of a nine to five,
A beloved son, child support paid on time
(or almost so), bill upon bill while I'm too
Busy with this and that to miss being high-
I'm more of a ghost than flesh and blood man.

From time to time I'm greeted with those
Old faces in these strange old places
Contorted in forms I scarcely recognize
With their sun graced complexions,
Rounder waists and small, beady eyes
And I wonder if their thoughts circle
Like a mirror making rounds at the table
-Just who we've become?

I wonder if they shake their heads in passing
All the places where all of what we knew happened
And, as I, hope they make it to bed early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment