Tuesday, July 26, 2011

They're Not You (Can you hear?)

They're not you,
This fact is undeniable,
This fact is true.
And their hands
Are not your hands,
Stirring cocktails and eye contact,
All little smiles -
Come hither breaths
Leaking from heaving breasts,
While I sip whiskey,
Keep their attention politely
With all my war stories;
My thin smile,
Choking back bile,
At their sympathetic lips,
The corners of their eyes,
When knees touch,
Her bed hanging
Diaphanous between us.
Will she taste like heaven,
Her sweat bleed freedom?
If I whisper your name
Into her ear, will she care,
Will she pretend in the afterglow
That I'm still there?
Not lost in memories,
Deep indents of velvet sofas,
Beneath thick blankets in cold cabins,
Sacred hugs in random hallways.
Should I sleep alone,
My arms empty while you're
Spread out silently in western beds
Of Los Angelical men?
They are not you,
No matter what we say
To ourselves as we force
Through this to the next day,
I'm not in their eyes,
So don't look for me there,
Alone or with company,
My bed silent or shared,
I'm drowning in drinks,
My empty smiles, my wolf whispers
In alabaster necks, absent ears
All the words I hold for you,
And I wonder in their nape,
Can you hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment