Thursday, July 28, 2011

Skies Go Gray (Without you here)

Skies go gray without you here,
I know, before I left, the march
Grass was greener than here in july.
Everything is a little emptier,
My smiles frayed around the fringes,
All the little interesting things I learn -
Seem less interesting when I can't
Share them with you. I whisper too
Often the sad words into summer nights,
"I miss you" - and the words hang
With my limp neck, bowing in their
Remorse and somber solitude.
When dreams haunt my sleep, often,
They are dreams of you. Of winters better
Spent, your gentle heart beating against my
Chest as we sleep away embracing in our bed.
Your eyes, hanging like distant stars
Close in mind, yet distant through the void
Of space that separates my heart from yours.
How callous was I? Who careless with
Such a delicate thing as your trust? I meant
No abuse, no misuse, nothing to replace your
Sovereign love with frustrated disgust.
I am no star, nor any magnificent thing,
Purely a man who loved a woman,
And was wounded, afraid and found wanting.
Now a simple pilgrim, traveling his former life,
The pain, the neglect, the rejection, the suffering -
But your eyes, the memory of their brilliant light,
Are the fixed heavens by which I navigate my plight.
So I whisper between harsh and haunted breaths,
"I love you, hope for you, wish you the best"
And hope that the summer winds carry my intentions
To perch within your heart, and swell up your breast
With all the love, hope and faith that pours from me
For you, and hope they find you well, hope they bring you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment