Friday, September 30, 2011

I Don't Believe (The knot, the noose)

I don't believe,
I don't believe;
In purpose,
Love, life
Or even simple
Meaning.
Only bed sheets
Torn up in lust,
Or the whiskey
At the bottom
Of my coffee cup.
It's all tangled up,
The dead, the gone
The ghosts in my head,
Like the sheets
Rumpled and wet
Spread across the bed.
I'd like to just make
Everything clean
And straight
So I can sleep tonight,
Let the knot of horror
That curls in my mind
Grow loose and unfurl
Like the sails of a ship;
Put you in place
Next to my dead friends
And think fondly
Of your lips I did love
Or the curve of your chin,
The way you'd laugh
When I nuzzled the nape
Of your neck, or the fuzz
Of your lower back.
I'd like to cast out
And just sail away,
Before knots become nooses
And I'm planted in a grave.
Because I can feel it
In the coming October air,
Samhain approaches,
The day of the noble dead,
I lean too far out of windows,
Drive too many drinks in,
Seethe to go back over there,
To find my friend,
Sleep silent still and well,
See if her love's alive, waiting,
Behind the mortal veil;
Because a man must make peace
With both his demons and dreams,
And when one swallows the other
He can do nothing.
A prisoner to manic madness
Or iron barred sadness,
There can be no relief
That doesn't come from
Pulling off panties
Or downing bottles of whiskey.
He becomes a wretched thing,
With no ship to sail,
No principles to fail,
No hope to follow
Only the knot, the gallows
And the hole where
Loving memories are eaten
By pain and sorrow
Until the heart grows heavy
Until the chest becomes hollow.
Most days I'm just looking
For reasons to make it
To tomorrow.
I don't believe;
I don't believe;
In anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment