Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Why Can't I (Claim your grave)

Man, I've been thinking

A lot about you lately,

All the mornings,

We'd go out to run

And you'd tell me

I was there just to

Run away from everyone.

About your face all pale

Lowered stately in your grave

And all the friends

I never knew

Throwing flowers as they

Put you away.

Well, why can't I?

When I dream, I see

You dead and laughing

At all the absurdity

Of a war never to be won

Or in the park,

Just playing with your son.

I wear your stripes

Every day I still breathe

Which feels like less lately

Just between you and me.

Well, why can't I?

Just learn to live normally,

You seemed to have it down -

A soldiers son, your mother's

love, a kind woman's only one.

We both know, and I think

We'd agree, it shouldn't have

Been you, it was supposed to be me.

Now I'm just here thinking

About all the times we ate

Shitty food or stayed up too late

Playing poker or video games.

I take my medicine,

The ones that makes me sick

I'm always choking down

Amphetamines and opiates.

Just to feel free

Of all of these things,

The burdens, the bombs

Her walking away from me;

All the dusty wounds,

The bloody memories

That just scar and consume

My precious waking moments

With raw and wounded memories.

Well, why can't I?

Just take enough to settle my mind?

Lift you up and take your place?

Give the world back a better man,

While I find nice place to dark

To dream, to remember, to see

Everything I cared about consuming

What was left of me.

When I'm tired and my bed is no rest

I toss and turn thinking about

Crawling down and pushing you out

Give you back to life and

Claiming your grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment