Saturday, August 27, 2011

If I Could Fall (Skip the goodbyes)

If I could fall,
Let those rooftops grown large-
Because from here
They're so damn small.
Feel the air free
Blowing my soul
Into the stars
Ripped away in the
Howling scream.
Make my grave
A random place,
A patchwork field
Or the twisted
Knots of Toledo's
Ramshackle maze.
They say I'm headed home,
The war's over for me
And all of my hopes
My fears, my promethean dreams
Are over it seems.
My lover, my love,
She left for LA.
The only person who
Still feels like a friend,
Well, they just lowered
Him into his grave.
Soon, too soon, I will land
And have to face all the faces
Arrayed out smiling on
That cold July tarmac.
"Welcome home! Welcome back!"
They will all chant.
I will smoke cigarettes
And drink my well whiskey straight
Alone at the Bronx,
They will say I've lost weight.
From running or not eating,
Suicidal either way,
I'll just smile and nod,
Half glad and half hateful
For their small talk and praise.
For now, in the moment,
The sky is my home,
Forehead rattling against
Thick windows,
Curled up in the back rows.
I watch Ohio bleed away
Into the breadth of
The greater states
And think of Detroit
As a lost lover I'll soon see,
And I wonder if sentiment
Has left her perfume clinging
To every memory -
I have of a place I once
Thought I belonged,
To the memories of all the love
Now dead, now gone.
So I curse her name, Athena
Artemis, Juno and Aphrodite
All the things which have
Laid men low after making
Them feel mighty.
Soon my boots will once
Again be forced to the earth,
And life will begin again,
But never be as it was.
If I could fall,
From this place in the sky
I would make a nice mark,
I could skip the goodbyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment