Monday, August 8, 2011

Learning To Sleep Alone (In so many beds)

I'm learning to sleep alone,
In so many different beds,
It's not like I have a home,
So I'm always looking
For someone to let
Me rest my head.
I used to be a faithful man,
Or I like to think I did,
All those old friends tell me,
I'm just a charlatan.
I've got wolf eyes,
Wolf teeth,
A wolf tongue
Stalking beaches and bars
Around shallow seas.
Well what would she think,
If she could see me,
Tangled in all those bed sheets,
Eyes burrowing into pillow smiles
Night out over after two drinks.
What do they see, looking back
And smiling, fumbling for keys?
Forgive me, I seem to have
Misplaced my dignity.
It's probably sitting, dropped and
Discarded as cheap
In the sand beneath
Distant longbeach palm trees.
She took that when she left too.
But I'm beautifully broken
Even as my ego is shaken
Laying in Baghdad's smoking ruins.
I'm more alive and dead than
I've ever been,
She took all I had of worth,
Played with it, bored, threw it away;
But gave me freedom in the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment