Thursday, September 9, 2010

Each Graceful Word (Hung from the gallows)

I still love you in a pitiful way
Like rain sputtering on broken sidewalks
Trying to seep it's way into cracks
I will try to make coffee dates, or movies
Where I will nervously try to place
My hand on top of yours
As you reach for creamer
As you shift in your seat

I will fish for clues as to which bed you awoke in
And to which you will fall asleep in tonight
Hoping and praying it is your own
While hoping and praying it will be mine

I still love you in a way which makes my tongue thick
Each graceful word hung from gallows
Swinging heavy in your light breeze
As I flip creamers
Shift in my seat
Your swift hand always just out of reach
Your bed long divorced of rustling sheets
Our bodies tangled fingers to feet

I will hold you too long in my arms when we leave
Tighten for a fraction of a second screaming-
"See how I am weak!"
My eyes on their knees pleading

I know you will not love me
Your arms alms, the length of generosity
I will awkwardly accept
Quietly begging, a coin in my tin cup
While you pass me by
I know you will not love me
For I am only the rain
While your desire is for the sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment